Mike Cope - COPETOONS.COM - Canadian Cartoonist and Humorous Illustrator
About Cartoonist Mike CopeContact Cartoonist Mike CopeSample My Selected Cartooning PortfolioRead the latest news from my cartoon studio

Friday, January 06, 2012

A Belated 2011 Cartoons, Comics, and Illustrations Wrap-Up

Happy Belated New Year!

Needless to say, I've been a poor social networker lately. Between my regular cartooning work, freelance projects, and a growing family ... Well, here are some highlights from the last-quarter of 2011 that I failed to mention at the time ...

October:


The gag cartoon above was published in the October 2011 issue of Reader's Digest Canada Magazine. It's one of my personal favourites because I used to put my daughter in a front-facing baby carrier while I vacuumed the house. That is, until her legs got too long and became a health hazard to my own well-being.

In October, the WebVoyagers made their way to Churchill, Manitoba in "Ice Time For Polar Bears" (Published in The Canadian Reader by LesPlan Educational Services Ltd.). You can find larger copies of each page in My Portfolio.

October was also an interesting month for freelance projects. A fellow cartoonist, whom I've known for a few years, called me one night and explained he was wanting to relax during his retirement a little more, but had a client he didn't want to leave hanging high and dry. The client runs a PR firm in California, and so, the following is the cover of his company's 2011 Greeting Card that I illustrated ...


... As fate would have it, my relationship with this client has continued to grow, and so, I intend to share samples from other projects I've done for them in up-coming posts. To young cartoonists, I think it's important to express gratitude to those who help "find/refer" you clients. More on that in a future post!

November:


Now, this particular gag cartoon (Published in the November 2011 issue of Reader's Digest Canada Magazine) is also a personal favourite, because it was inspired by a visit to my Grandfather. He'd been having issues with a new set of dentures not fitting (even after multiple corrections), and so, I dedicated this one to him and treated him to dinner as a thank you for the idea. With hindsight, treating someone with denture problems to food is a little insensitive!

In November, the WebVoyagers visited both Cirque Du Soleil and Canada's National Circus School in "Joining the Circus!" (Published in The Canadian Reader by LesPlan). I always enjoy illustrating these comics, but this one was especially fun to draw.

Larger copies of all 3 pages can be found in My Portfolio, as well larger samples of these Home Lab experiments that I illustrated for the November/December 2011 issues of KNOW: The Science Magazine for Curious Kids and YES Mag: The Science Magazine for Adventurous Minds ...



December:

In December, the WebVoyagers visited Rideau Hall, the official residence of Canada's Governor General, David Johnston. In the event that His Excellency ever sees a copy of the comic, I hope he approves his caricature -- they're not really my specialty!

And finally, here's my most recent Class Acts gag cartoon, published in the December 2011 issue of Professionally Speaking Magazine by The Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) ...

... I heard from a number of teachers (especially from Elementary/Public Schools) who said they could relate to this one. After all, with a ban on all pop and junk food in most schools, I figure Santa Claus isn't exactly a healthy role model :)

Stay TOONed!

- Mike Cope

No comments:

Post a Comment